It’s the most wonderful time of the year – to be outdoors! As Southeast Texans, we love good food and good company. Summertime is perfect for firing up the grill, jumping in the pool, and shooting the breeze with your family and friends.
The more, the merrier, right? Well, until you take a look at your grocery bill…
So how can you grill and chill without going broke? We have a few suggestions!
- Skip the fancy meats and opt for cheaper options like chicken legs, thighs, or other bone-in meats.
- Know how many guests you’ll have, so you don’t waste food and money.
- Make your own rubs and sauces by using different spices/dressing you already have in your pantry.
- Ask guests to make a side dish or BYOM – bring your own meat.
- Incorporate lots of veggies! They’re cheaper during summer and pretty delicious on the grill.
- Start a week in advance and freeze your own ice.
- Get to know your grill! Know the perfect cooking temperature for meats – and don’t forget to turn off the gas after you’re done.
- Plan ahead, clip coupons, and shop sales.
- Practice good grill maintenance and clean regularly, so your grill will last longer.
How DuGood Can Help
So how can your credit union help with your next grill and chill? Ok, maybe we can’t bring the potato salad. But, here are a few ways we can DO GOOD for you:
- Each month, we partner with local stores and restaurants! Sign up for our Local Discounts.
- Don’t leave home without your DuGood debit or credit card, so you can earn rewards!
May your summer be filled with friends, fun, and lots of flavor. Happy grilling!